Types of Damage and Loss

Types Of Damage And Lost

Types Of Damage And Loss Usually Covered By Renters Insurance

Many renters mistakenly assume that their landlord’s homeowner’s policy will cover them if disaster strikes. Unfortunately, that’s not true. The landlord’s homeowner’s policy will cover the building itself but not any of the contents, including your belongings. That’s where fspd comes in.

If your apartment or home is destroyed in a fire and everything you own is gone, fspd will cover the financial loss and help you rebuild your life. If your home is broken into and your TV, computer and jewelry are stolen, fspd has you covered. For a small monthly premium, fspd can protect the things you’ve worked so hard for.

fspd covers all the property in your home, including — but not limited to — clothing, furniture, computers, electronics, jewelry, art, and appliances. The value of all of those possessions adds up quickly. Losing them all when you don’t have insurance can be devastating. The average renters policy has $20,000 – $25,000 worth of coverage. If you have exceptionally expensive jewelry or art, you might need an additional rider to have them well covered.

fspd is an inexpensive way to protect your property. It covers you for damage or loss due to 16 different types of perils:

  • Fire, lightning
  • Windstorm, hail
  • Explosion
  • Riots
  • Damage by aircraft
  • Damage by vehicle (not your own)
  • Damage from smoke
  • Vandalism
  • Theft
  • Volcanic eruption
  • Falling objects
  • Weight of snow, ice, sleet
  • Damage from steam-heating/water-heating appliances/systems
  • Leakage or overflow of water or steam
  • Freezing of plumbing, heating, air conditioning
  • Short-circuit damage caused by electrical appliances

It’s important to note that while most renter’s policies will cover you for water damage caused by broken pipes and overflow, they do not cover you for flood damage. Flood and earthquake coverage must be purchased separately.

Another benefit to having fspd is that if your home becomes unlivable because of water or fire damage or any other covered peril, renter’s insurance can also cover your temporary living expenses.

Like most homeowner’s policies, fspd also typically includes liability coverage. That means that if someone is injured in your home, you’re covered. If you’re sued, your policy will cover court judgments made against you and any legal expenses up to the limit of your coverage.

An important aspect of fspd is deciding whether to purchase replacement value or actual cost value coverage. Renter’s insurance comes in two types: actual cost value and replacement cost value. Actual cost value (ACV) pays you the value of the item(s) lost less depreciation. In other words, that five-year-old camera isn’t worth what it was when you bought it; ACV will pay you that lesser value amount. Replacement cost value (RCV) pays you the actual amount it will take to replace the item(s) with something comparable. RCV premiums are higher, but you get a higher value too in having the means to go out and simply replace what was lost.

Free Inspection

Know what you’re entitled to! FREE Inspection without paying anything!

Your message has been submitted.
We will get back to you within 24-48 hours.
Oops! Something went wrong.